Weekly Idol (주간 아이돌) is a South Korean variety show, which airs at 6 PM every Wednesday nights onMBC Every1, MBC's cable and satellite network for comedy and variety shows. The show is hosted by comedian Jeong Hyeong Don and rapper Defconn.
The show consists of several segments, one of which is called "Real Chart! Idol Self-Ranking", where idols are asked to rank each other on different topics and the results are then presented.
"Idol of the Week", the second segment, on the other hand, features idol groups as the invited guests. The first idol group to record an episode and appear in the segment was INFINITE. This segment usually consists of several featured corners:
- "Random Play Dance" – The staff plays any songs that had been promoted by the guests. A song usually stops at a random point or changes to another song while the guests must dance with the proper choreography for each song.
- "Profile Verification" – The hosts (Hyung Don and Defconn) feature the profile, info, facts, and rumors about the guest that are prepared by the staff on a profile card. The idols need to verify, or even, voluntarily prove the info before the MCs.
- "Win Against Idol" – The guests play a game together with the hosts. If the guests can beat the hosts, the winning side will get the special prize and the losing side (usually the hosts) will get the physical punishment from the winners.
- "Grill Idol" – A special corner where the guests must correctly answer the questions from the hosts that appear on a panel. Only after the guests get the question right, they can eat the grilled pieces of Hanwoo beef that are prepared by the staff. BtoB's Jung Ilhoon frequently appears as a special guest host for this corner since November 2012.
- "DoniConi Idol Call Center" - A special call center is prepared for 1 week before the recording and the fans can personally call in and leave a message for the idol which are later revealed to the idols.
During these segments, the talk is usually held without too much formality, giving a chance for the hosts to give a humorous remark about the idols, or conversely, the idols can playing around with the hosts’ lack of physical fitness, engaging in a slapstick activity with the hosts.
An annual year-closing episode, "Weekly Idol Award", held in the last episode of the year was started from December 31, 2011. In this episode, the host usually reviews the segments and the appearances from the guests that were featured in the past year.