film about a young man with the special ability to time travel who tries to change his past in order to improve his future.The film was written and directed by Richard Curtis ,and stars Domhnall Gleeson , Rachel McAdams and Bill Nighy . It was released in the United Kingdom on 4 September 2013.
Mark Kermode observed that writer Curtis "sets up his rules of temporal engagement, only to break them willy-nilly whenever the prospect of an extra hug rears its head".
- Only male members of the family can travel in time.
- Only travel to the past is possible.
- It is impossible to travel back to before you were born.
- Traveling back to a time before your child is born may cause a different child to be born and the original child to be lost.
The film's internal logic about time travel was also criticised in other reviews:
- says the explanation of time travel is "shockingly inadequate" and that "Curtis keeps leaving questions unanswered – time and time again".
- Irish Postrefers to Tim travelling backwards and forwards in time when he says the film is "riddled with plot holes".
- Timesays: "...sci-fi fans out there likely won’t be able to see [the film's] charms through the gaping time-travel plot-holes".
- Film School Rejects states "the rules and limitations of Tim's gift aren't exactly hard and fast, and the final third of the film is rife with complications that never get quite explained. Rules that previously applied suddenly don't apply... the time travel rules aren't exactly tight and are occasionally confusing".