Pretty Little Liars is an ABC Family network television series based on the Pretty Little Liars series of novels by Sara Shepard that premiered on June 8, 2010.The series follows the lives of four girls — Spencer, Hanna, Aria, and Emily — whose clique falls apart after the disappearance of their queen bee, Alison. One year later, they begin receiving messages from someone using the name "A" who threatens to expose their secrets — including long-hidden ones they thought only Alison knew.
Main article: List of Pretty Little Liars episodes
Season One introduces a clique of five girls - Spencer Hastings, Hanna Marin, Aria Montgomery, Emily Fields, and Alison DiLaurentis. During a slumber party, Alison goes missing and is nowhere to be found. One year later her body is discovered in the backyard of the house she lived in, forcing the four surviving girls who had since grown apart, to reunite. Shortly before Alison's body is found, the four girls begin to get messages from an anonymous "A", who knows their deepest and darkest secrets that they thought only Alison knew. They continue to get the text messages even after the funeral forcing them to lie and come to terms about the jenna thing.. Aria lies about her hot teacher, Emily lies about who she wants, Spencer lies to get even and Hanna lies about everything.
Cast and Characters
- Lucy Hale portrays Aria Montgomery, who moves back to Rosewood after a year's absence in Europe with her family, which consists of her mother, father, and younger brother. On her first day back, after dropping her brother off at school, Aria decides to visit a bar, where she meets a man who she instantly has a connection with, and begins a love affair with. The following day, on her first day back at school, she realizes that the man she met is her English teacher. Aria first gets a message from "A" during class, involving the affair between Aria and her teacher. Aria's father and mother are also in a rocky marriage, especially since her father was having an affair before their move to Europe, although Aria's mother is still unaware of that fact. Aria and Alison found out while walking home to find Aria's father's car parked in secret and him kissing another woman.
- Ashley Benson portrays Hanna Marin, who becomes the Queen Bee after Alison's disappearance, and distances herself from the others to gain popularity. When she was younger, she was fat, and lost weight to fit in and become popular. Alison usually reminded her to limit her food from time to time, creating a strained friendship. At the Rosewood Mall, Hanna steals a pair of sunglasses and presumably gets away with it, until later that night when the police come to her house and interrupt dinner with her mother, and soon the two are taken to the police station where Hanna's mother tells her she will sort it out. Later, her mother is seen kissing the police officer before taking him to her bed.
- Troian Bellisario portrays Spencer Hastings, who is the smart and intelligent one, who reserves herself in books. When her sister and her sister's boyfriend move in while their house is being renovated, Spencer is forced to give up her hard work on her loft that she created from scratch, and after good behavior and promises by her parents, Spencer was to move in, but her sister stopped her plans, causing a sibling rivalry. Spencer also finds herself increasingly attracted to her sister's boyfriend, who "A" warns not to kiss or she will tell. Through a flashback, we see Spencer once kissed one of her sister's past boyfriends. At the sleepover where Alison is last seen alive, Spencer had woken before the others and had already looked around for Alison and returned when Aria, Hanna and Emily woke.
- Shay Mitchell portrays Emily Fields, who is a competitive swimmer, who is introduced as the jock-type. Her mother tells her to introduce the new neighbors, who have now occupied the house Alison's family lived in before the family fell apart. Emily meets Maya, who asks for help with boxes, and in her room they discuss boyfriends while Maya introduces Emily to weed. Emily and Maya soon grow closer, and share a slight kiss when Emily walks Maya home the following day. A message from "A" depicts Emily as to be curious about her sexuality, presumably having kissed Alison before.
- Sasha Pieterse portrays Alison DiLaurentis, who was the leader of the clique of five girls involving her, Aria, Hanna, Spencer and Emily. During a slumber party, Alison plays a joke on the other four by scaring them. In the middle of the night she goes missing, and Spencer claims she heard a scream. A year passes and Alison is still missing, though the town of Rosewood is still confused by her disappearance. Aria is the first to receive a text from "A", who she assumes is Alison, since she reveals a secret she only knew. Emily soon gets a message about being replaced as a kissing partner. Alison was also with Aria when she discovers her father's secret love affair. When Spencer gets attracted to her sister's fiance, "A" sends her an email, telling her if she kisses him, she will tell. In a flashback, we see Alison threaten Spencer about spilling her secret of kissing her sister's boyfriend at the time, though Spencer threatens her back with "the Jenna thing". Alison was also cruel to Hanna about her eating, as Hanna used to be fat and have an eating problem. Alison would remind her not to eat as much, and "A" sends her a text when she is at the police station for stealing.
- Ian Harding portrays Ezra Fitz, who meets Aria on her first day back to Rosewood following her year-long vacation to Europe. He meets her in a Bar and Grill, where they both share things about themselves. Ezra claims to be starting a new teaching job, specializing in English. Aria and Ezra take a liking to each other, and isn't long before they start kissing. The next day, Ezra starts his first day as Aria also does, and finds out that Aria is in fact his student. He makes a comment which makes everyone in the class realize that he and Aria have a connection. Later, Aria tries to talk to him about it, but he claims he cannot have a relationship with a student. At Alison's funeral, he apologizes for his behaviour and kisses Aria passionately.
- Holly Marie Combs portrays Ella Montgomery, who is the mother of Aria and Mike Montgomery, and the wife of Byron Montgomery. She is introduced as a relaxed mother, though she cares fondly of her children. Byron also cheated on her a year before, and was caught by Aria and Alison when he kissed a teacher in the secrecy of his car, though Ella is still unaware. She is happy to move back to Rosewood, though Byron doesn't seem to share her happiness.
- Chad Lowe portrays Byron Montgomery, who is the father of Aria and Mike Montgomery, and the husband of Ella Montgomery. When first introduced, it's clear he is harbouring a secret that Aria is helping him hide. In a flashback, he is seen cheating on his wife with a blonde woman in his car, though is caught by Aria and Alison. He regrets what he did to his wife, and hopes his daughter will sometime forgive him for what he did.
- Laura Leighton portrays Ashley Marin, who is the mother of Hanna Marin. During dinner with her daughter, it is revealed that her husband, and father of Hanna, left them about a year ago, which both Hanna and Ashley seem to still suffer from the abandonment. The police soon arrest Hanna for stealing a pair of sunglasses, in which Ashley is forced to take care of Hanna's reputation and settle the score with the officer by bringing him to her house and sleeping with him.
- Bianca Lawson portrays Maya St. Germain, who moves into Alison's old house when Alison's parents leave because of painful memories. Emily greets her and welcomes her to the neighborhood, where Maya asks for Emily's help with several boxes in her room. Emily agrees to help, and is asked lots of questions by an inquisitive Maya. Maya is revealed to have a boyfriend thousands of miles away. Maya then brings out weed and convinces Emily to smoke it with her. The following day, Emily walks Maya home from school, where they share a slight kiss. Sometime later, when Alison's body is found, Maya tells Emily, to her horror. Later on Emily and Maya become best friends.
- Janel Parrish portrays Mona Vanderwaal, who is a girl that would follow Allison around in hopes of joining their clique. A year after Allison's disappearance, she receives a total makeover and becomes the new "it girl" with Hanna. They later shoplift together but only Hanna is caught.