Yoo Si-jin (Song Joong-ki) is the captain of the special forces. He catches a motorcycle thief with Sergeant Major Seo Dae-young (Jin Goo). The thief is injured during his capture and is sent to the hospital. Dae-young realises his cellphone was stolen by the thief and goes to the hospital to retrieve his cellphone.
In the emergency room, Si-jin meets Dr. Kang Mo-yeon (Song Hye-kyo) for the first time. He falls in love with her immediately. Mo-yeon mistakenly assumes Si-jin is part of thief's criminal gang. He proves to her that he is a soldier with the help of army doctor Yoon Myeong-joo (Kim Ji-won).
Si-jin and Mo-yeon begin to date, but due to their jobs, their dates don't go well. Si-jin takes an order to lead his soldiers on a peacekeeping mission to the fictional country of Urk. Meanwhile, Mo-yeon becomes upset that she fails to become a professor due to a colleague's privileged background. When Si-jin and Mo-yeon meet again, they talk about their views on life and realise how different they are. Si-jin, as a soldier, kills to protect lives and Mo-yeon, as a doctor, tries to save all lives. They say their goodbyes.
Eight months later, Mo-yeon rebuffs the sexual advances of hospital chairman Han Suk-won (Tae In-ho) and as a result is assigned to lead a medical team in Urk. There, Si-jin and Mo-yeon meet again.
- Song Joong-ki as Captain Yoo Si-jin
- Song Hye-kyo as Doctor Kang Mo-yeon
- Kim Ji-won as First Lieutenant Yoon Myung-joo
- Jin Goo as Sergeant Major Seo Dae-young
Tae Baek Army
- Kang Shin-il as Lieutenant General Yoon (Myung-joo's father)
- Kim Byeong-cheol (김병철) as Lieutenant Colonel Park Byeong-su
- Park Hun (박훈) as Sergeant Choi U-geun
- Choi Ung (최웅) as Staff Sergeant Gong Cheol-ho
- Ahn Bo-hyun as Sergeant Im Gwang-nam
- Kim Min-seok (김민석) as Lance Corporal Kim Gi-beom
Haesung Hospital Medical Services Team
- Onew(Lee Jin Ki) as Lee Chi Hoon (1st year resident of Thoracic Surgery)
- Lee Seung-joon as Song Sang-hyun (General Surgeon)
- Seo Jeong-yeon (서정연) as Ha Ja-ae (ER Nursing Team)
- Park Hwan-hee (박환희) as Choi Min-ji (ER Nurse)
People at Haesung Hospital
- Hyun Jyu-ni as Pyo Ji-soo (Pathology Specialist)
- Tae In-ho as Han Suk-won (Chairman of Haesung Hospital)
- Park Ah-in as Kim Eun-ji (Thoracic Surgery Specialist)
- Jo Woo-ri as Jang Hee-eun (1st Year Resident of Anesthesiology)
- Jasper Cho as Daniel Spencer (Peacemaker Emergency Doctor Team)
- Jeon Soo-jin as Ri Ye-hwa (Peacemaker Emergency Nurse Team)
- David Lee McInnis as Argus (Black Market Boss)
- Dean Dawson as the Chief of Police (Taek Baek Police Chief)
- Jo Jae-yoon as Jin Young Soo
- Lee Kwang-soo (cameo episode 1)
- Lee Jong-hyuk (cameo episode 2, 5, 10)
- Ryu Hwa-young (cameo episode 4)
- Lee Yi-kyung as Kang Min Jae (cameo episode 5 - 10)
- Matthew Douma as US Captain soldier (cameo episode 2, 10)
- Zyon Barreto as Fatima (cameo episode 9, 10)
- Kwak In Joon
- Joey Albright
- Yoo Ah-in (cameo)
Descendants of the Sun was fully pre-produced before airing which is a departure from the live-shoot production format that characterizes most Korean dramas. The drama is Song Joong-ki's comeback project after serving his two years of mandatory military service.
On June 12, 2015, lead actors Song Joong-ki and Song Hye-kyo filmed their first scene in Seoul.On September 28, 2015, the entire cast and crew (including the four leads, Song Joong-ki, Song Hye-kyo, Jin Goo, Kim Ji-won, as well as supporting actors Kang Shin-il and Onew) departed for Greece. The team resided in the country for approximately a month to shoot episodes crucial to the drama's plot. According to Greek news portals and blogs, filming mainly took place in Zakynthos, Arachova and Lemnos.
On November 25, 2015, it was announced that actor Song Joong-ki injured his arm while filming an action scene for the drama on November 23. Two days later, his agency made an update on the actor's condition. Upon closer examination, doctors determined Song had also suffered a damaged ligament to his right knee in addition to the fractures in his arm. Filming continued with other actors and scenes that did not require Song's presence. On December 7, 2015, Song Joong-ki returned to work only 2 weeks after he was injured and spotted filming at a station in Seoul.
According to industry insiders, the crew wrapped up the last shoot in the early morning of December 30, 2015.
Descendants of the Sun OST Part 1
Descendants of the Sun OST Part 2
||Chen and Punch
||Chen and Punch
Descendants of the Sun OST Part 3
||"This Love" (이 사랑)
||"This Love" (이 사랑; Instrumental)
Descendants of the Sun OST Part 4
||"You Are My Everything"
||"You Are My Everything" (English ver.)
||"You Are My Everything" (Instrumental)
Descendants of the Sun OST Part 5
Descendants of the Sun OST Part 6
||"Talk Love" (말해! 뭐해?)
||"Talk Love" (말해! 뭐해?; Instrumental)
Descendants of the Sun OST Part 7
||"With You" (Instrumental)
- Production company 'New' said that the drama has been exported to 32 countries.
- In China, it airs simultaneously with South Korea's broadcast where it is available to stream on iQiyi and has been streamed more than 673 million times.Its popularity in China has caused concern with the country's Ministry of Public Security posting a warning on its official Weibo account against the drama warning viewers "watching Korean dramas could be dangerous, and even lead to legal troubles". It is part of a growing concern among Chinese officials who are wary of the growing influence of Korean pop culture on the Chinese populace since the similar success of My Love from the Star in 2014.
- In Japan, the drama will premiere in June 2016 on the cable channel, Eisei Gekijou. Reports have claimed that the drama was sold for US$100,000 per episode.
- In Malaysia, the drama is available to stream on Viu with English and Malay subtitles within 24 hours of the original South Korean broadcast.
- In the Philippines, GMA Network announced that it will broadcast the drama in 2016 as part of its GMA The Heart of Asia programming block.
- In Singapore, the drama is available to stream on Viu with English and Chinese subtitles. Each episode is available to stream eight hours after the original South Korean broadcast.The drama's increasing popularity in Singapore has resulted in the drama ranking as the most watched show on Viu in the country and episode seven reaching the drama's highest ratings so far with 31.8%.
- Globally, the drama is available to stream on Viki,gooddrama.us with subtitles in many languages created by the volunteer community. Each episode is available to stream a couple hours after the original Korean broadcast.